- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, February 20

"Prepare Every Needful Thing. ..Not Quite"

We dropped off Skip's parents at the airport this morning. The boys screamed from the car we love you as they walked through the door, unfortunatly I don't think they heard. We had an awesome time with them. You can see from previous post that we had fun.
I am so glad that they came. I started preparing for their visit by making list and organizing things. Yes I am an A type. Let me give you the run down; I started by thinking where should we have them sleep. Hmmm we have only three beds and two bedrooms {we actually have three other bedrooms but they were stuffed with boxes and stuff} so what to do. CLEAN UP! Lazy.
I decided to clean one of the other bedrooms. While in Las Vegas, Skip got a great start on one of the rooms. When I got back I went through boxes that were left and most of it went on the floor in my room (my kind of organizing when in doubt put it on Moms bed). We did get it cleaned out. Then moved Jack's bed, queen size, into that room. I then proceeded to iron all the linens that went on the bed. So when you come and stay with me you can be assured your sheets and comforter will be wrinkle free { I like that in a sheet, no winkles. Sleep on the floor if you have to} JK(: hehe. I'm telling you Type A thats me. Next I ran some white towels though the dryer,making sure they were fluffy and smelled great , then added some fresh curtains {thank you Beth, she saves the day yet again}. the room was comfortable as I could make it. I really wanted to put a rug in there because the wood floors are so cold, no such luck. On to the bathroom. I had Jack clean it and then I did a deep clean with bleach {I know so ungreen but hey I LOVE the clean smell of bleach and I Know it's clean} It looked good and smelled good. The rest of the house got a thorough cleaning with the help of my little and big helpers. There was some clutter and again moved to my bed {I know where do I sleep} The better question is when do I sleep or WILL I EVER GET TO SLEEP!! A question for another post. Back to the house, thursday night I ironed all the slip covers to the dining room chairs, cleaned off my bed and went to sleep. The next morning I got up and realized the dishes hadn't been done the family room was very cluttered and the trash needed to be taken out. {I had gotten home late and was upstairs ironing, so of course I thought Skip would take care of these things, I mean these are his parents coming, but he was busy watching "Lost"} We needed to be at the airport at 9:45am and I needed to clean all these things , plus dress, feed, comb hair,and get coats for my kids, not to mention get ready myself. We were running late, I was mad and I was speeding to the airport I called my in-laws and said we will be 10min late. I was wrong, about two miles from the airport as I was talking with Skip trying to let him know I was frustrated in a nice way { I was screaming on the inside and I guess it was coming through my foot} I noticed the flashing lights behind me.Busted!! The officer was very stern and not smiling. He asked me do you have a reason for driving so fast (80ish) I started to say something then said I have no excuse, there is never a good excuse. Then he asked for my licence { Yes I did have a current one} but it was from Colorado. Busted again! Ma'am he said" How long have you lived in Virginia?" Me "Over a year" Him " Do you have a reason why you haven't obtained a Virginia licence." Me "I have no good reason for this, I can give no excuse" all the while he is looking back at my kids. He walks back to his cruiser {I have always wanted to use this word in a sentence; sounds cool say it "His cruiser"} The boys now begin to question me; are you going to jail, what will happen? I say, trying to use this as a teaching moment, I am going to get a ticket thats what happens when you break the law, mommy broke the law now I will get a consequence. I will have to pay alot of money. Just then the officers comes back. "Ma'am "He says" You may not be concerned with the rest of us on the road but, please think about your kids and drive slower" he walks away. No lesson. I proceeded to get Grandma and Grandpa. { This whole week I have been nursing a cold and trying to keep a migrain at bay}



This house has three full bathrooms and we only use two of them. I have never even used or cleaned the one on the third floor. The bathroom Jack cleaned has one of thoe sliding tub doors. One of the doors is broken so we never move it, this is a point I forgot to tell his Dad, of course it fell off the moment he tried to move it. Skip's Dad decided they should use the bathroom on the third floor (the one not cleaned with Bleach. )He was right, it was better for them, but then he wanted to clean it. No Way!
So I cleaned it while they were here and they much to my dismay, I find out later they used a dish towel from the kithen in the bathroom as a hand cloth. I gave them fluffy towels,and hand towels, I thought. I also forgot to give them soap. I am failing as a hostess. Lesson, be more prepared.
We did have fun though.

4 comments:

Marissa said...

so you wanna go get that pedicure now?!?!?! After that you need a break, and just FYI - ironing sheets is ILLEGAL in my book, the officer should have booked you for that one. :) But I would love to stay at your house sometime, ie. my get away from my kids would be staying with you since everything would be clean and ironed. :)
And that's awesome about Skip's parents mission, I'm so jealous!! I don't get jealous much, but couples going on missions make me wish I was 62 sometimes. :)

Suzie Soda said...

I can't believe you iron your sheets....that is insane and so OCD.....just kidding. i want to stay at your house too......fluffy good smelkling towels.
The extent of my hostessing is a basket with food and bath produts to use while staying..and a cute frame saying welcome.it is so much easier than ironing sheets ;) Glad you had fun and it worked out well. And no ticket.....no way. it must be those big, lucious red lips.....and the sweet little kids in the backseat...and the humble attitude. Who knows what I woukd be saying...and probably getting a ticket for being too mouthy . I love pedicures.....soon as it awrma up I'm there. You, Riss, Beth and I should go togther sometime....then out for a treat. Looking foward ro girl's night out next week. So cool about the mission for Skip's parents. maybe someday for me too. Love, suz

Brossettelewis said...

Is it bad that I smiled all the way through you post? Regardless, something will always sneak up and I (you) will always fret about it more than anyone it actually affects. I'm glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

You do know your the crazy one right?
Please do not ever iron the sheets when we come because the service will not be returned. I can offer good food, but not all the rest.
Maryann

-
-
- -
- -
-