- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Tuesday, June 10

Day Camp





Sam and I attended 'Cub Scout Day Camp' together. When I woke at 5:30 am I was secretly hoping Sam would say he was to tired to go. He was a little disoriented, but when I told him where we were going he was up like a shot. I had to show my enthusiasm and off we went.

It was freezing up in the mountains. We didn't bring enough layers. Sam was shivering all morning. When I offered my jacket, which I did because you have to do that if your a good Mom , right?... He refused it. He wouldn't say why at the time, but when I questioned him later, he just told me it wouldn't be fair to have me be cold, especially since I was wearing a short sleeve shirt.{ I didn't listen to my mom and now my kids are suffering the NATURAL consequences. Did you ever try to find a sweat shirt in the stores in June? It's not gonna happen.} It is cold here in Utah.{tomorrow's high is going to be 65. }




Sam Had a great time and I am so glad I went. He did all sorts of fun activities; Sling shot, boat racing, sword fighting, BB gun and Archery. I loved watching, as the weather warmed up, so did his smile. He did knot tying and flag folding. Even though he knew no one , Sam is the kind of kid that just rolls with whomever is there.




We were buddies through the whole day. We ate lunch together and went to the trading post together. We talked about what we should buy. Sam wanted a sling shot, but they didn't have the kind they used on the range, so we went to Wal Mart after to buy two sling shots. { My Mom wasn't to happy with this purchase choice.... They are dangerous, she is right, but I thought it was fun. Jack told Grandpa when he got home from work,"Mom bought Sling shots for us, but it freaked grandma out."} Sam also purchased some Skittles and a bullet from some sort of gun. I don't know which. They had them on necklaces and Sam did not want a necklace. He also picked up some used BB's off the ground.


We were both pretty happy when he camp was over and we went to the closing flag ceremony. You can imagine 112 cub scouts all crowded together around the pole, talking and laughing, yelling and screaming with excitement. The moment the flag ceremony started all was quiet except for the birds and the wind. It was awesome. These boys were learning reverence for our flag. I loved it. All at attention, with the scout salute.



Last but not least, we were the last to leave camp. Sam thought he forgot something, which we later found in the car. So I started up Maryann's and Shane's Suburban and off we went down the mountain. Mountain roads are a little narrow and I have a bit of a lead foot....YES, I WAS PULLED OVER AGAIN!!!! I was only going 45, but the speed limit was 25. I saw the Sheriff pass me and I knew I was busted. I hadn't seen any of the speed limit signs. I promise. You just know, deep in your gut when you are in trouble. I watched in my rear view mirror as the sheriff turned around and turned on his lights. The kicker was when he asked me if I knew the speed limit and I said no, that I was just visiting from VA and then handed him my CO drivers license....NICE...I was also driving a UT car. The sheriff did comment on all of this, with a smile. He saw Sam in his uniform in the back and ask if we were coming from day camp. I said yes. He told me to pull over where we would not be in the way of traffic and I thought for sure I was busted. He came to the window , I had all the right ID and info for him. He said put it away. I was shocked {No, I did not have bight red lipstick on} He just wanted to talk to my boy. He told Sam that he was officially deputising him and that he was the deputy in charge of making sure our family was safe, including seat belts and MAKING SURE YOUR MOM DOESN'T SPEED... OK, I get it. I will try to slow down. Sam thought it was cool. He got a sheriffs star.



3 comments:

Marissa said...

oh my gosh! You're so lucky - I know you worked those lips even w/o the lipstick! Only in UT can you get pulled over by a Sheriff for going 20 miles over and NOT get a ticket cuz you're coming back from Boy Scouts!!!! My heart stopped beating when I read about the Sheriff turning around to get you - I throw up every time I see a cop even if I'm not speeding!
I leave tomorrow and it's 20 degrees cooler where I'm gonna be, which I'm looking forward to since it's been over 100 here!

Nehring Fun said...

What a fun time you had!! This last Sunday I saw Skipp sitting by himself and thought everyone was sick...then I read your blog. How fun to be in Utah, especially the cooler weather, it has been so hot here! Well it looks like you are having a fun time! That's awesome that you got away without a ticket!! I love it!! Have a fun time in Utah!!

Suzie Soda said...

You are my hero...just going to scout day camp gets you into the highest level of the celestial kingdom. I knew those lips of yours would be your secret weapon.
Glad you are having fun.....no slingshots accidents or you may not be invited back. Miss you. suz xoxox

-
-
- -
- -
-