- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, June 12

One Grain of Rice at a Time

I was on another friends Blog and got some wonderful ideas. I am extremely interested in teaching my children how to give back to their community and the world. We have done different things to accomplish this and they feel a sense of contentment{for lack of a better word}. I don't think they have truly caught the vision that I have.




Some how my children think they are entitled to things like money in the form of allowance or Wii games, treats and lots of minor things. This is probably entirely my fault.

"If you could kick the person most responsible for your troubles. You wouldn't be able to sit for a week." ANONYMOUS

So we have established it's my fault. How do I fix it? We were directed to the web site http://www.freerice.com/ ,It is a vocabulary game that donates rice to the united Nations hunger fund. It is awesome. You should try it. We spent an hour on the site. My boys felt like they were helping someone eat. It is only 20 grains at a time, but it all adds up. We really enjoyed doing this with Grandma Lewis. I didn't realize she has an awesome talent for words. The kids loved doing this game with her.




I also found out about micro-credit, which is something that I have been interested in for several years . This is so fascinating to see how just a little bit of money can change someones life. Plus you can work together with others that want to help. I think this concept is wonderful. We have been blessed with so much abundance and lack for nothing that we truly need. The kids can participate at what ever level you want or make it a family thing. http://www.kiva.org/ This is the most insightful place to find out about how you can help. I also thought http://www.onehen.org/ was interesting and had great activities to help your kids really understand what they are doing.


I have been on a quest for a while now and I think the Lord has directed my path to certain people that could help me, for this I am grateful.

3 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

I love this idea too. Did you find it on smart mama's blog? in response to your comments on my blog:
For Laurene:
I hope I will be fine by then. I have to cook for Greg and Denton too. I am so over this pain. And the antibiotics make me feel nauseated. I don't know how long it will take but it better hurry. Hope you ae having fun. Miis you. suz xoxox

I tried to email you straight up but you must not be checking them :)

Suzie Soda said...

I got a hold of Skip..he is coming. miss you. suz

My Three Snakes and Snails said...

Here's that recipe you wanted....
Baked Apple Pancake
6 large eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. flour
3 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter/margarine
2 large Granny Smith apples (peeled,sliced thinly)
3 T. brown sugar

Blend eggs, milk, flour, gran. sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon in blender. set aside. Put butter in 9x13 pan and put in 425 degree oven to melt. Don't let it burn.
Arrange apples in bottom of dish over melted butter. Put in oven til butter sizzles. remove. Pour the blended mixture slowly over apples and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes... poke with a knife and if it comes out clean, it's done. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.

-
-
- -
- -
-