- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Saturday, January 10

Sling Shots, boys and Guns...

The question I have is should little boys be able to play with guns? Growing up we had play guns in the house. We had cap guns and a BB gun. My dad made us rubber band guns. We were not at any point allowed to point them at each other. We could point them up into the air or away from each other, but by penalty of the wrath of Mom, not at each other.

I have never allowed my boys to play with guns. Yes, I am from the weird generation that deemed gun play terrible and not an acceptable form of play. The problem with this idea...is that my children, girls are not to be left out of this, turn every toy into a gun.


So I gave in when it came to sling shots. They are fun. You can spend hours searching for the perfect rock {to hit your brother with...JK} Sam and Blake love it.
The rules are simple don't get in front of the one shooting and don't aim it at each other by penalty of the wrath of Mom.


Here Sam shows me the "I can do this with my eyes shut" technique.

"Yes, that is good now open your eyes please!" New rule: No one shoots with their eyes shut. That is how accidents happen.{My favorite go to line.}
Ok, go again. Much better.


"Rocks? Who needs rocks I think I will use this can. I realize this was a target but I think I found a better use for it....... Mom, just watch. "

Get it set.


Get it set.
And.......

Pull! .......Awesome! I know Grandma Lewis Loves this.

The question is still out there guns or no guns for little boys or girls {play guns of course.}

4 comments:

Brossettelewis said...

Everything is a gun. My vote is that you might as well teach safety versus let there be a tantalizing curiosity.

Cristy said...

I honestly dont have a gun issue. with corbin now it might be different, but im with you no guns around here....yet?

Suzie Soda said...

Guns or no guns that is the question. I am sure my boys had some but so far nobody got too crazy from it. i think it may have been only when they were little but I don't rememeber it too much....it wasn't a big topic. Tell Jack he did a good job on his talk. xoxoxo

Lewismom said...

My vote is go for the guns and teach responsible handling like the "no pointing at each other" etc. When you guys were little we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa Barnes and I put two or three kids down for a nap in their king sized bed. Two or three? That's a joke, I had to lay down with the kids and supervise the nodding off. I layed down on the bed and slipped my hand under the pillow, as is my habit, and horror of horrors, a loaded gun was under the pillow!!!! My feeling is that it is better to teach GOOD gun handling or not handling, touching or not touching, pointing or not pointing just in case they ever run into a situation that includes guns.
Now, I want to tell you another tale about safe gun handling. Grandpa Barnes told this to Dad. He and Grandma were riding in the cab of a pick-up truck with another fellow. They were going out bird hunting. The other guy stopped the truck and Grandpa got out, as he stepped down, he reached for his gun and as he grabbed it went off! It blew a hole in the cab just behind the head of the guy who was driving! Needless to say, there were some strong, harsh words spoken. This from the man who taught me to handle a gun with respect and in a safe manner! Go figure.

-
-
- -
- -
-