- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, March 11

Moratorium on all Electronics

The months of Jan. and Feb. went by in a blur......with Skip getting laid off in Jan .....and three weeks of sickness in Feb...I need... it is almost spring. I am so happy for day-light savings time. I need the light I think. My house is dark. I do turn the lights on, but I am surrounded by trees and the direct sun light doesn't really get through the windows. I also welcome the warm weather and the coming of daffodils.

It seems I was in a slump the past two months. My Christmas boxes sat in the family room until a week ago. I think in my mind I thought, "What is the use. We are going to be out of here soon , so why go to the trouble of dragging them up two flights of stairs." Well I gave myself a good swift kick, got the boys together and up went the boxes. I feel better.

Because of the sickness, we did a lot of TV and wii viewing. While I realize the kids were uncomfortable and felt terrible; I can only take so much. Two and a half weeks ago I issued a moratorium on all electronic devices. It was just getting too crazy. The first week was tough. Claire just about died without "Blues Clues". The boys knew better and never asked for anything. The second week I started to go a bit crazy. It is so much easier to give Claire a fix of 'BC' when I am trying to cook, than to find something for her to do.... I stayed the course.

Now we are into our third week. I feel the detox has worked. Our school is back on schedule, the whining has subsided, and the happy factor is up. The week thus far has been quite productive. The boys are really stepping up, by getting all their chores and school work done. The new rule is; If all your responsibilities have been met by 4 pm you get one half hour of either TV, wii, or computer time. So far we are making it....it has been only three days , but I am hopeful.

I have a friend that only allows gaming on Saturdays and a time limit is imposed. This whole subject is a hard thing for me. I think there are good things and bad things about the games. What do you think?

3 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

It is all about balence in life. It is a constant struggle always. Just keep plugging along. xoxoxo

Nehring Fun said...

I havn't come to that "gaming" point in my life, my opinion is none aloud ever, but we shall see what happens down the road. Thanks for the cute comment on my blog it made me laugh!!

Emily said...

I think we need a detox of BC (and other Nick Jr shows). Greatfully, we are to the gaming time of life....

-
-
- -
- -
-