- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, July 9

Look and Listen

It is quite and still. The kids are in bed. Skip is snoring next to Claire. A cool breeze is wafting through the window. Muted noises of a baby crying, dishes clanging, cars roaring to life, and several conversations which sound like ghost whispers fill my ears. The last call of a bird before night fall is soft and lulling. This is apartment life and this is my view out the the big picture glass window in my living/dining room.

On most days we can see the mountains. At night we see the lights of downtown Bellevue. I must say I really enjoy the view. I will miss it. Living here has not been bad. It is amazing what you can live without {like all our stuff...} Our new digs will have no view.

Only a few challenges to apt life; grocery shopping for six and carrying all those bags up flights of stairs {I do choose plastic every time. You can hang a lot of plastic bags off of an arm.... not so much with paper}, you can't find a parking place after six, so don't plan on going anywhere,  and absolutely no jumping,  pounding, or wrestling on the floor, so as not to disturb the downstairs neighbors.

Everyone leaves their windows open. There is no central air. The cool of the night rolls over you as you snuggle up in your covers. It is a great way to sleep. Great dreams!

The lights in my neighbors kitchen just went out. The fridge just stopped humming. All I can hear are Skip's snores and the humming of the night..... wait... someone is calling, off in the distance, for their cat,"Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...Kitty, Kitty, Kitty" now quiet... now two dogs barking....now quiet...I like listening and watching. It is amazing what is revealed.


3 comments:

Keryn said...

Laurene, that was beautiful. You transported me from hot, noisy, frustrating HERE to the cool, quiet, purple-blue dusky THERE.

Thanks.

Maryann said...

Oh, the joys of apartment living. Shane and I lived in that 4 floor walk up for 4yrs. You got the parking just right. You can never find close parking after 6 or 7. After that your lucky if you get a couple of blocks away. As for the the grocery shopping, plastic is the only way to go. Alot of bags can be carried that way. Do you find yourself looking at the store and wondering how you'll get that up the stairs. When we lived their Riley was 4 months old. I had to also factor her into the mix of can I get the kid, carseat and groceries up the stairs. And then, do I want my kid to touch these stairs, for any reason at all.
I hope your move into your house goes smoothly and that you love it.

Suzie Soda said...

When do you move? Hope it goes well. I just finished my talk. It was alot of work for me....mainly because I don't type well or fast. Miss you. xoxoxo

-
-
- -
- -
-