- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, May 21

Learning to Row!

Okay, I admit it I saw a really lame movie in the 80's Called "Oxford Blues" ......laugh if you must. I just watched the trailer for it and can't believe I went to see it. All I remember about it was the rowing. I think I was drawn to it because of the rowing. I mean, I would like to think that. At sixteen most of your decisions regarding movies can be questionable, right. Although, that same year I saw Ghostbusters, Footloose, and Amadeus and I remember where I was for each of these movies.....not so much Oxford Blues.....maybe a bad date?....mmmm.....yes, that must be it. I do recall several of those.So ever since then I have wanted to row. It has been a secret desire. There is a reason behind this secrecy. First the inspiration is really nothing to brag about and second I mentioned it to a couple of friends and they thought I was weird. I am weird. I own that with a smile:)


Before we had officially moved to the Island we attended the 4Th of July parade held here last summer and low and behold the BI rowing club came marching through and my heart skipped a beat. I was giddy inside......

I told Skip about it. He thought I was weird. I decided it might be a dream never to come true, plus I am so busy with the kids and stuff. Then in January I mentioned it to my friend Rhonda and she lit up like a Christmas Tree...WOO HOO!!! Someone understands!!

She found out all the info. It turns out she had been trying to do this for the past two years. I was so glad to be her comrade in rowing.

I needed to take a ten minute float test with my clothes on....never did that before. Claire sat and watched me jump in the pool with all my clothes on and was delighted. A rush of nerves set in at first...What if I don't pass? What if I sink? Should I really be doing this? I got some what panicky after the first few minutes of treading water, then I realised I could swim and float on my back. Claire was smiling at me from ear to ear and I knew I could do it. Sometimes as a Mom you feel like doing something for just you and no one else.... and it cost money, it is like... I don't know......like a betrayal in some way, like that money could go for the family or pay for one of the kids lessons.....I felt a little sneaky.....mothers guilt...I got over it and I passed.
I took that test in March. We had our first "Learn to Row Class" on Saturday. It WAS AWESOME!!!! I felt so empowered. It was a beautiful sunny morning. The water was glass like.....well, there were the occasional wakes from something called the FERRY. We turned and went into the harbor. Loved it! It is not easy mind you. There are so many things to think about to get your stroke right. It is kind of like a golf stroke. You will be working on the stroke for the rest of your time rowing to get it perfected. I am willing to do that.

I can't wait to go out again. These ladies were great to row with. Everyone was so enthusiastic and I might add patient with the fab five newbies. Mid June is our next class and then I can start rowing several times a week. I can't wait!

I also should mention we had to watch this safety video, which scared me, but not enough to back out. It showed all the ways you could crash and fall in the water. The water here is 40 degrees Fahrenheit and that is pretty much all year round give or take a couple of degrees...ccccold... When we stepped in the water to put the oars on and systematically get in the boat, I thought I might SCREAM. The water was cutting like a knife. I didn't want to be a wimp so I silently screamed my head off. They numbed up pretty quick and it didn't bother me as much....nice!

9 comments:

My Three Snakes and Snails said...

good job! I'm always relaxed when i see people rowing, so I can completely understand your desire to do it!

Cristy said...

Wow Laurene! This is awesome!!

Mom's Thoughts said...

Good for you! Everyone needs an outlet they enjoy.

Brooke said...

ARGH! I'm trying to deal with my wicked covetousness right now. I would LOVE to learn to row. I used to date the captain of a college Crew team - Hot Hot Hot!

But I'm guessing that the water in the Puget Sound is probably not 40 degrees Celsius. That would be around 100 degrees Fahrenheit - nice hot tub temperature. :-)

Laurene Ross said...

Brook-You Kayaking Queen, I see your pictures of your escapades and feel the same way:)

Celsius??? I am a freak and I home school....scary:)

Billie said...

I think it is so awesome! I had a twinge of jealousy when I first saw the rowing comments. I understand the dream. Have a blast with it!! Lucky.

ShelleyG said...

Very cool Laurene! I am so glad you are doing this. I think it would be cool too. I know someone that joined a rowing group...in Hawaii. That might be more up my alley temperature wise! :) heehee Keep on rowin'!

Kate said...

Ps- That's my good friend Kathleen that helped out!
If there are any spots left, I want to take one. She seems to think it would be great for me!

Emily said...

Way to take care of yourself and do something fun. And what a great example for your daughter! I love to canoe, so you will get no weird looks from me! Have a great time!

-
-
- -
- -
-