- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, April 8

Solar Ovens take over the House!

I never realized how the weather could be such a slave driver. Living in the Northwest the sun doesn't always cooperate. After finishing up our unit on light and energy, I decided Solar Ovens would be a great way to test some of our knowledge. WHAT WAS I THINKING! I looked at the weather and Friday was our day. We had to rush all week and the house fell to pieces.

This is Sam's oven. He is one meticulous kid. His wrote out his plan and followed it to a tee.


Once outside he was extremely touchy about where anyone stood. NO shadows please and don't get near in case you might effect the experiment. He was able to get the oven up to 175F. He timed it and checked the temp every five minutes. His pizza was warmed up perfectly!
_____________________________________________________


Blake is a little more intense. His cooker had some problems at first and I had to remind him that scientist don't cry or get mad. They work the problem. He wasn't to happy about my lecture. Once I got him to calm down we came up with a solution. Then the oven heated up perfectly.

Sometimes being the teacher is a little tough. Sometimes being the student is a little tough:)

__________________________________________________



Claire was thrilled to make her cooker and worked very hard on it. She is so fun. I would give her a task and she would work on it until completed.

She was so proud. The yummy smore was a great treat after all her hard work.

I am in no way a decent video maker....this took me 3 hours to do, because I have no idea what I am doing. At least I have it for posterity and they can forgive my clumsiness.

Untitled from laurene ross on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Mary Bell said...

Love it!

Aznewmom said...

Very fun!!! What a great project.

Lynn and Sherry Whyte said...

Love catching up on your blog. Still miss you all back here in Richmond. I think we need to come out there for a solar cooked dinner!

-
-
- -
- -
-