- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, April 30

Homeschool, Why?

Most people know I home school my kids. I get asked frequently, why do you do it? How long will you do it? Are you afraid that your children won't know how to socialize? { Basically they will be weird}. I also get told there is no way I could do that.



To the latter I say most anyone could do it. It is all about your mind set. If you decide to run a marathon you train spend time and do it. If you decide to go back to school you sign up for classes, study and you do it. We all can do anything if we put our minds to it. Is it easy? No Way! Nothing worth having in this life ever is. It takes hard work, determination, and a sense of humor. When you fail on something, which we all do, you get up dust yourself off and start all over. I have to do this sometimes when what I have planned doesn't gel with the kids.



There are different approaches for home school, Some do unschooling where they let the kids figure out what they want to study and let them take the reins. Some people do 'unit studies'. Some the "Thomas Jefferson Approach" I like structure and find my kids thrive with it. So we have a mix of the basics of Math, spelling , grammar, and writing. Then I throw on top of that unit studies for Science, history and literature. We top it off with group and personal scripture study. We study as a group whatever book of scripture the seminary program is on, then they study the Book of Mormon on their own keeping a journal of what they have studied about that day.



It usually works out pretty good. Sometimes we get behind, but I can catch up pretty fast because I have just three students. I feel confident in their progress. I test them with the 'Iowa basic' and Jack is way beyond grade level. Sam has some learning difficulties and is testing at grade level in most areas, above in some and below in others. Blake really hasn't been tested because he doesn't start kindergarten till next fall.




It has been a learning experience for all of us. I do get frustrated at times and have to work on my patience. I do love to be around them and see them grasp new concepts. I enjoy teaching.



Some would say that I am sheltering them to much, I say to that there is plenty of time to be out in the world. They are involved in sports, scouts , chess, we have a group of about 30 other kids that we meet with every week for classes like sign, drama, and cooking. It changes every semester. The church also provides opportunity to serve and socialize.



Why do I home school? There are many reasons why, but the main reason is prayer. I have prayed and this was the answer. You may wonder why do you have too, why not me? The only thing that I can think of is that we all have a mission on this earth. While it may be the same mission, the path we take is personal and individualized. Designed by the Lord for our own growth and betterment.

2 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

I admire your committment and desire to give your kids the best of yourself. I do think it is a personal choice and everyone should pray about their own situations. You seem to do it so well and have such nice kids......something must be working right, huh?
I do think some people who homeschool aren't really prepared or disciplined enough and maybe their kids miss out.I know your kids will treasure alot of memories of times spent with you. The scripture reading and journaling is awesome. That is a wonderful part of the whole thing. Hooray for you. I am glad you feel happy and successful with it.

Marissa said...

I'm really behind on catching up my comments on your blog!!! First off - kudos to you for being a homeschooler! To each his own - and while I know it's not for me, I admire you for doing it. It takes a LOT of patience, which I do not have. It's gonna take Moroni coming to me in person to tell me to homeschool to get me there. But when that happens, I'll do a co-op with you and I can teach the Dance and Ebonic lessons.

-
-
- -
- -
-