- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, May 1

Building The Ark

Is it too late to build our "Ark"? Are gas prices and food prices like the rain before the storm, Hopefully not. We have some food storage Wheat, which I use weekly for bread, waffles, pizza, and anything baked, Rice, which my children strongly dislike. {No matter how many times I tell them it is an important staple} Canola Oil, which I rarely use, I prefer olive oil. White flour and white sugar, which I use as sparingly as I can. We have some potato pearls, (magic potatoes) which my children love, well some of them tolerate them. So our food storage is a little lacking, just a Little.



We had a time scheduled to go to the Cannery here in Richmond this Saturday, but as I was going over the prices, I found allot of the staples we could get at Sam's for less. If we get the stake canning machine we could can it up in #10 cans ourselves. So that is what we are going to do.



We have some things ordered from Walton feed. ( The region we live in does a huge order.) It won't be here till August. They do have some things we can't get at Sam's and I hear the whipped honey is to die for. We also wanted to try the "ova easy eggs" these are supposed to be really good too. You can bake with them and scramble them. We also needed some water containers, there is always the threat of a hurricane damaging the water system here and our water storage was not very good.


The next place we went to was a small co-op here that deals in natural foods. I am semi into this stuff. Skip is not a real fan of some of the things I make, so I have to make him happy by serving refined foods. It is all a balance really. They have an Ezekiel mix and some 9 grained mixes that I could try in my bread or for cereal in the morning. They also have the White Montana Wheat I like. I also want to order some Sucanat which is essentially dehydrated sugar cane juice. The sugar cane is harvested and crushed to remove the juices. The juices are heated to reduce it to a thick syrup. The syrup is then paddled until it forms granules. It is a source of iron, calcium, potassium, B vitamins and chromium. Early finding have shown some signs that this sugar doesn't raise your insilin levels as much as sugar. I'm not sure what to think, but I thought I would try it out.

Today we bought applesauce, pasta, honey, peanut butter, black beans, soup, olive oil and tomatoes.We are on our way.


0 comments:

-
-
- -
- -
-