- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, April 23

I am a Princess


Here is my princess. This is not what I would call her, but she has chosen this title for herself. She sings "IIIII am A PRINNNNNCESSS" She also talks of getting married and going to a ball. She serenades me as she dances to the music in her head {I can relate}I think I know were she picked up these lofty ideas. She went to a birthday that had a "Cinderella" theme. {My friend Beth, creates fun parties for her kids} There was a castle and they danced. Beth's daughter is one year older than Claire. Claire also sings " Reilly isss My Besssssst FRIEND. SHE Is In MY Classsss." { She puts everything to music} I think Claire is already giving in to peer pressure. I am not a real encourager of princesses and getting married at the ripe old age of two. She hasn't seen any of the Barbie or Disney princess videos. I don't want to influence her that way to much, but I guess I don't have a choice. I was hoping for a scientist or a great mathematician, some sort of inventor. We will have to see. She is my little girl.

I thought I should add this side note. The little princess got her first dethronement today. She was laying on the floor crying her eyes out because she wasn't getting her grapes and hummus fast enough.{ I'm telling you this girl is a task master} I asked her several times in a nice voice to get up off the floor and use her nice voice and I would get the food in just a minute. To this she screamed at me." I am not happy!" well at this point neither was I . In a not so nice tone I said, "Claire I will count to three, if you are not up off the floor you will sit on your bed till you can talk nicely." She screamed and I counted. Up to bed with her, up the stairs while she scream s" No! I want my food!" I put her on her bed and told her to stay there till she stopped crying. I left. She got off crying and screaming and came to the door. I picked her up and put her back on the bed and repeated myself. She looked at me in disbelief. I closed the door. When I returned about five minutes later she was still on her bed and not crying. I said "Are you done crying?" to which she replied with a somber "yes". I gave her a hug and said I am glad your not crying anymore. Would you like your food?" She nodded her head and said," Mom, I am happy now." So Am I.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a Girl.....Let her just be a girl. Having two girls first and than a boy I can tell you that there is a great difference. Just as a boy knows how to make car, light saber, and crashing sounds. Girls know how to dance, sing and wrap up their babies...(and don't forget how to wear a crown or anything else that sparkles with style). I know that pink and yes, even purple, do not fit into the red, blue, white and khaki theme for clothes that you have going on with the boys. But, you need to open up and let her play. My girls were total girls with the pink room and sparkle shoes and then one day Riley says "I hate pink and can we paint my room." I personally dislike pink, not my favorite color, but I remember my favorite dress when I was 5 was pink.
There is hope for the future. Riley still does not like the color pink. She is on the honor roll for the third time this year and wants to go to an Ivy League School so she can be a lawyer.
I guess the lesson is that pink, sparkles, dancing and all things girl do not mean that you are asking for a life of wishful princess thinking. You can be smart, you can get good grades and make big goals and plans for the future.
By the way, I just bought my first pink shirt in years...We'll see if I wear it.
Maryann

Laurene Ross said...

We have not bought anything sparkly I will have to do some self talk on that. However she does have pink {with no patterns} I like just solid colors and I am working in some pinks and purples.
Riley can be a roll model for Claire on the academic side of things. Go Riley! I have bought several pink shirts to wear because my boys like that color on me.

Ashton said...

She's gorgeous... Jeremy's mom will be very glad to hear that someone's enjoying the princess costumes she made! =)
If you figure out how to get them out of the princess phase, let me know!

Anonymous said...

You don't need to do any self talk on the sparkles. Just have Aunt Maryann
go shopping, (one of my talents) I'll find some shoes, a necklace or maybe sticker earrings like Rachel used to wear. She could be like Mackenzie and want to wear a crown everywhere. I let her wear it everywhere but church. (Everyone is equal there.) The phase only lasted until the crown was lost or forgotten and we moved on.
Maryann

Cristy said...

Let her be a sparkly princess!! Morgan loves to wear a crown whenever she can. People always think it's her birthday or something, but not it's just that she saw the crown and wanted to wear it today. The princess is just inside them and is so adorable! My girls think they have princess after their last name because Bryan has taught them since they were born that they are his princesses!

Suzie Soda said...

Well that was fun reading all of that. She is adorable. Let her spirit soar. She can wear whatever but your manners lessons are the best. Since she is the baby and only girl ( like me) the manners thing is of utmost import. She can look like a princess as long as she doesn't act like one ( too much). She will be smart and talented just like her mom, have no fear. Remember Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blond...now there was a pink, sparkly girl.....in Harvard law school. I say let her express herself and sing her heart out. She is so darn cute. Enjoy......she will be 12 before you know it and saying "I am not happy"...and it will take more than a timeout. Hormones.....where do they come from?

-
-
- -
- -
-