- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, May 22

Of Thee I Sing

















Most people know Monday is Memorial Day. Last year we spent the day at the 'Virgina War Memorial ' and at "Civil War Museum' {a picture of the kids and I With Abe} both located here in Richmond. I was surprised to see how empty both these venues were. For a while we were the only people at the 'War Memorial'. I hope it was just because of the time we went.







I went to the library on Tuesday to look for books about Memorial Day. I couldn't find much. I did a search on the computer,and I looked under World war 1 and Memorial Day, so I asked a librarian. She was helpful, but looked at me like I was strange. You would think that they would have a display of books up to commemorate this holiday. They have one for the beginning of Baseball Season, St. Patrick,s Day, and right now stories about summer or stories to read on summer break. Needless to say I was disappointed.












This whole week {which really is not very much} we have been talking about war and those that have suffered and died to keep us free. We say the pledge everyday before lunch. Today we read a book about the Pledge " I Pledge Allegiance" By Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson. It helped to explain why we say it. We included this video clip in that time today http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/index.htm I get emotional rarely, but I am extremely patriotic and I am moved to tears by anything remotely patriotic. I was moved to tears and trying to explain the history of this song to my kids, as we talked about the lyrics I had a tough time. I hope they got the spirit of which I feel deeply.







We talked of "Liberty and Justice for all" We talked of what it means to be "indivisible," about the Civil War, and about how we would be willing to die for our testimonies {like Abinadi} and for our country {like Captain Moroni}. We talked about how someday they may be called to serve and fight for these freedoms. {I am sure Blake is now scarred for life, since he asked "could this happen in these day's?" To which I answered promptly,"Yes."}






I ordered some books from Amazon which should arrive anytime now. I will let you know what I think. Hopefully they will help me to instill a love of Country and Reverence for those that have gone before.






We will visit again the 'War Memorial' And thank our Father in Heaven for this country and our many freedoms. We are so blessed to be here at this time in this place.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

One of the cool things Corbin's teacher did at school was to have the kids bring in stories about war veterans from their own families. I know we have Veterans' day as a holiday as well, but I thought it was a good way to get the kids thinking and talking about some of the topics you have been trying to teach your kids. It can seem much more tangible and real when it is someone they are at least aquainted with. For example, I told my boys about my mom's brother who served in the Vietnam War. They were fascinated. I think it is so cool that you guys are within driving distance of so many of our national memorials and historical sites. What a great education for your children!

Laurene Ross said...

Thanks for the imput and the idea. I will have to find a veteran, someone in our ward perhaps.

-
-
- -
- -
-