- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, May 9

What to eat?

It has been raining, OK it is a big storm, which is great, but it wreaks havoc with my Internet service, not to mention the satellite TV and the electricity. What do I expect we do live in the country, but don't you think technology could reach us here? Anyway, to post is a little difficult. It can take up to three hours to load the pictures. Very frustrating! And this happens every time it rains. It rains allot in the spring here. Although I do love this way of journaling, I don't have all the time in the world to do this. So pictures may or may not be on this post.

I was watching some news show last night while waiting for my post to publish pictures. They were interviewing Michael Pollan an author of "In Defence of Food" and other books on whole foods. I had read several articles by him recently and found his views on food to be interesting. I am by no means an extremist. I do believe in the moderation of things. I do however, want to feed my family good healthy food. I try to do the best I can.

He made several points or as he called them rules to live and buy food by. Here they are:

1. Don't buy any type of food that your great grandmother wouldn't recognize. { I think this includes Go-Gurt, which is a staple of Claire's diet. What to do?}

2. Shop mostly on the outside walls of the grocery store. { I really try to do this, I have been shopping this way for about ten years. It is a lot more expensive I must say.}

3.If it claims to be healthy for you, that claim is on the box and is probably a processed food, don't buy it.{ We eat very little processed food, that is unless you count TEQUITOES, No really you can ask Skip he is always trying to find something fast to make and everything we have requires time and prep work.}

4. If the food doesn't go bad in a reasonable amount of time then it probably has preservatives in it, don't buy it.{ I must say this is troublesome I do loose some produce because my kids are not fan of veggies, I have to put them in the smoothies.}

What do you think? I am constantly trying to do better.

I do have strong opinions on things and this may sound a little radical, but having listened to this man and read his writings, and having made the one positive observation. I have a negative observation to site. I believe that he is correct in talking about eating whole organic foods and trying to stay away from processed foods, but one thing he talks about is how the effort to produce our own food is pretty much futile and that there is no hope for industrial farms. This contradicts what I have been taught about providing for ourselves and teaching others in poorer areas how to grow gardens to sustain themselves. This is how Satan works, he gives us a package all neatly wrapped in what seems good, what sounds to be good, and then weaves in his philosophies of men. Too bad.

A garden would be nice. I don't know if it will happen this year though. Kudos to you that are making the effort. (you know who you are!)



2 comments:

Cristy said...

I live with Bryan. Enough said! None of the advice sounds radical to me that you wrote. It takes alot of time and energy to do it all right and I just don't have it right now!

Suzie Soda said...

I am totally conflicted all the time, I eat 50% good and 50% bad.......so far my CBC stats are good but I good die tommorrow. So I better have a handful of Hershey'skisses before I go to bed.. in casr this is my last chance.....they are suppose to be mood elevators.
I want some wild, colorful dreams tonigh.

-
-
- -
- -
-