- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Sunday, June 1

The Doctor Is In

Two days ago Sam stepped on something in the hall way upstairs. We were not sure what it was, but it hurt and his big toe was bleeding. It looked like a small pin prick. I really had no idea what it was, so I cleaned it and put a band aid on it.{I tend not to be an alarmist as my children can be dramatic} Well, the complaints kept coming. Last night after a day of not being able to walk too far and allot of limping, I decided to take the tweezers to it. I had flash light and a magnifying glass. I looked just like Skip in these pictures. I was not so successful though. Sam just cried. He kept pretty still and asked for breaks, but he did cry big crocodile tears and some of the crying was the silent kind. After 15 minutes I said we would stop and try again later. I couldn't take the pain I was causing him, especially when we were getting no where.


Tonight as Skip was putting Sam to bed, he thought he would take a STAB at it. For some reason Sam did not cry as much. In fact mostly just complaining and no tears. Skip joked with him to take his mind off of the procedure. After about 5-7 minutes he had the first of two big chards of glass out.{they weren't big compared to a thumb tack, but big enough to cause Sam pain} Sam said," Good we are done." and Skip said," No I think there is something else in there."


Skip poked around a little more and tugged at something else and finally pulled another chard out. It looks like jagged dagger. I said it must be the 'Littles'{from the book} you must have almost stepped on one and they were protecting themselves. Blake looked at me in fear and disbelief, "Are you kidding Mom?" Sam just smiled.







Afterword Sam gave his Dad a big hug. Sometimes you just need a Dad do the dirty work. Thank you Skip I love you. So does Sam!


3 comments:

ShelleyG said...

I am cracking up at this post! Not because Sam was hurt, but because I LOVE the headlamp!! :)
This also makes me feel better because whenever my kids get hurt or especially with slivers, their first question is, "Can we call Dad?" I am NOT good at hurting them even though I know it will help. I rarely am able to see it through when extracting slivers, cleaning out scrapes, and the like! I too am grateful for a hubby that can do the dirty work!

The Johnsonz said...

How long have you been away Laurene?? Your kids have grown by leaps and bounds! I miss you! So glad to see that Sam survived Dr. Skip! Some jobs are just meant for Dads...
Tami :)

Marissa said...

holy cow! I can't believe that was in his foot! That kid is a toughie... my kids scream bloody murder when we have to get the splinters out, I hate doing it!
By the way... was Skip into cave exploring at one time? :)

-
-
- -
- -
-