- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, August 15

Snakes

I left the house this morning to go for a swim. As I got into the car and checked to see if my phone was on I noticed that it was dead. I thought," That is no big deal I will be back in an hour." I came home and started up the walk and there on the front stoop was a big black snake{ I think it was a black snake I am not a ophiologist and the snake looked like his head was pointed, that means viper, maybe? I always think the worst in these situations}

Well, I am outside and the snake is blocking my way. He is sitting right in front of the door. If I get the kids to come to the door{ throwing rocks at the window, which I would surely break. Especially since I have warned them over and over to shoot their sling shots away from the house and not at each other}... they will for sure open it. Even if I do some sort of hand signal to not open the door they will probably open the door and say, "What, I don't know what you mean?" As the snake slithers between their feet into my house. I cannot get in. I thought I will call on the phone...opps no phone. What would my mother do.

{KILL IT AND KILL IT AND KILL IT} Sorry no hoe available. Locked in the garage and of course the garage door opener is in the house because the kids left it their after their last ...whatever.

I resort to throwing rocks at the snake and yelling at it to get off my porch. Really, who does he think he is sunning himself right in my path. The snake finally gets the message and slithers off the porch down the side of the house. I call the boys to come and see. We watch the snake slither parallel to the side of the house for a while and then Jack pokes at it with a branch. The snake slithers under my house. Perfect! ... You know this house is a little worse for wear {not my fault} Some of the air conditioning vents have holes in them. These holes happen to be under the house. Great!..

If I have to write a post about a snake in my house I will FREAK OUT.

4 comments:

ShelleyG said...

EEK! Snakes freak me out too!!! Yikes! We have lots of garter snakes that live in the rock walls around the house. I don't kill them because they eat and keep away rodents (I hate mice too!). Maybe it was a garter snake-they come in all different colors, even black. :) It probably doesn't want to go in your house unless mice live in there... right? :)

Suzie Soda said...

ooh!YUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
I used to have a snake of my own...........now they scare meto death, Sorry I forgot to call you back. xoxo

Lewismom said...

Laurene, this is dejavu all over again! For the benefit of others, I will say that it happened to me too!
We were living in Cape Girardeau, MO, and it was time for the kids to come homr from school. (including Laurene) Our youngest daughter, Heather, was looking out the window for the kids, when she saw a rattlesnake laying on the railroad ties that butted up to our front porch. The way the kids always came in from school! I didn't know what to do but I knew I had to get rid of it! I went into the garage and got a hoe. (why didn't I think of rocks?) Stealthily, I tiptoed up to where the snake was resting. I gripped the very end of the hoe handle (in case the snake should run up the handle, I would be at the very end) and hit the snake as hard as I could. The hoe just bounced off the snake. Well, I did what any reasonably insane person would do, I hit it again. It took a lot of hits to kill that snake but I did it!
At church on Sunday, Heather was telling the story to someone and she said, "My Mom killed a snake, and she killed it and killed it and killed it..."
I would ask if it was the same snake come back to haunt our family but I know that I killed it and killed it and killed... Well, you get the picture! Brrrrr! Snakes!

Lewismom said...

Oops! Dad reminded me that it was a Copperhead snake not a rattler! Poisonous though, but without a warning signal like the rattler. You must have Copperheads there in VA too. Does that comfort you?

-
-
- -
- -
-