- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Sunday, August 24

Obey the Law of the Land and go to your Sunday school class!

Today I taught Blakes Primary class. The lesson was on Obeying the law of the land. I told his teacher last week that I would sub and then I forgot till around 11:00 am today when I was looking in the mirror, getting ready for church, going over in my mind what lesson we were on in Sunday School and Relief Society, and thinking oh great, today Suzi teaches that will be nice, I love her lessons. Then it hit me I teach too. So, I rushed down to the computer read the lesson{skimmed it, if you must know} decided what I needed and gathered all my materials together and we were off to church.

If you want to see zest for life, go to primary. Those kids are on top of the world. They sing with gusto and want to answer every question that comes there way even if they have no idea what the answer is. They are on the edge of their seats.{Some are up running around} Contrast this to Skips experience with the youth Sunday School classes today.

I guess we have over fifty young men in our ward and about the same young women. the Youth Sunday school classes are always a challenge and today was no different. The problem was no teachers. At first there were four teachers missing and youth congregating in all the nooks and crannies of the church trying not to be found. Well two teachers showed up. whew!! Still two teachers missing. So Skip and the Sunday School Secretary and Sherry W. went about herding youth towards their classes. { I do not get this not going to class, just go! it is where you should be. I was weird this way I just went. It could be I was afraid of the wrath of Dad. He had a way of making you do what you should, but I was a weird child} Anyway, Skip had about forty kids in this room with more showing up all the time. They watched a video which they were not buying into. Skip had to stop it twice to tell them to pay attention or at least not talk at full voice. Once it started again they went right back to talking at full voice. I don't get it. The primary kids were talking, but mostly about the answers to the questions that were being asked, who answered first, and there is another good answer different from what someone else had said.
Something must happen around age nine or ten and they don't really care anymore. I need to learn how to deal with this better. I have no patience for the disrespect these kids were showing Skip. It really bugs me. I guess I am no fun. I mean really; hiding out in bathrooms, lobby coat closets, on the stage just so you don't have to go to Sunday school.

I rant I know and I may get pay back in about two years.

As I taught my class these kids were great. They had all the answers and they loved the activities. Till I started reading this story about a boy who didn't obey the law by keeping his dog on a leash and this dog got hit by a car. Well, that brought the room down. I thought they were all going to cry. I had to do damage control. I broke out the graham crackers, this helped. We talked more about laws and why we have them. Then I asked them about the laws in their houses. Blake said "no repeating something over and over" Why "Because it drive my mom crazy." TRUE! It is amazing how you can get the dirt on other families, kids tell all and leave nothing out. They are brutally honest. I won't disclose anything here. Your secrets are safe with me.

3 comments:

Cristy said...

I guess I wasn't as afraid of dad and had an older brother with a license. It was just sunday school though, because we would make it back for YW/YM. I think they are just at an age to find their independence and that is just another way. Again, I think that some parents just choose their battles. If I was skip I maybe would have asked the kids who were being disrespectful to leave. Or go to their parents.
Sorry about bringing the room down. Makes you wonder what the person was thinking that wrote a lesson where a dog died?? Weird, but a lesson none the less!

Suzie Soda said...

I am with you.....Respect at all costs. Kids will rise to the occasion. They will be as good as you expect them to be. I always expected alot of mine and it paid off.
Did you leave the part about you ticket off of this post on purpose? :) The dog dying is a crack-up......a little brutal for 5 year olds...but an attention getter for sure.

My Three Snakes and Snails said...

I hope Mike was one of the ones that showed up. I actually saw him teaching, so i can attest that he was there... I know, because I was also wandering the halls during Sunday School! not on purpose... and definately not hiding out in the coat closets... but people kept asking me to do things.... I guess I was the official Gayton Ward "errand runner" yesterday! oh well... somebody's gotta do it, right??

-
-
- -
- -
-