- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, August 13

Sam







Tonight Sam had A Cub Scout activity. They met at a pool to work on their swimming belt loop. Sam had already earned his and did not know why he should go{ he is so by the book and he thinks so linear.} He did go and got pretty excited about it as I drove him over to the pool.



I walked him up to the pool and watched as he walked all alone into the pool. Something inside me said follow him. I did not listen. I am with my kids allot and I am trying to give them experiences without me. I thought this would be a good one.



They had the boys jump into the deep end and swim 20 feet, touch and then back. I know Sam can do this, as he did it in Utah for his swim teacher. He panicked and got out . After telling his Cub Master his head hurt he sat down and there he sat for the next hour and a half. He told me he asked if he could call me , but they told him I would be there at the same time regardless of the call so they did not have him call me. I was sitting five minutes away in the pool parking lot.




I came in the pool looking for a boy that I would have to drag out. Scouring the pool I saw many boys splashing and having fun, but no Sam. Finally after chatting with another mom for a couple of minutes, I saw out of the corner of my eye Sam walking toward me dry and head hung low. It had been a miserable time for him. I could see tears well up in his eyes, but they did not fall.{Sam is not one to show tears, he will hold a dam back with his sheer will} I was sad for him.




He wanted to play his game boy , but I said turn it off so we can talk. I asked him about his feelings and how he could have made different choices. He said all the boys were going off the diving board and the water slide and he is not comfortable enough yet for either. I told him that he had gone down several slides that were bigger than the one there and he was fine with it. He seemed to cheer up a little, realizing that he had many success in the water this summer.




I hate this part of parenting. I just want my kids to be normal kids. Have fun and enjoy life. I feel sometimes that I haven't given them all the opportunities I should have. I know they have to fall to get stronger, it is just tough watching it. Sam seemed Okay when we arrived home. I think he takes his bumps in stride. It is me that doesn't.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Just yesterday Drake had his first cross-country practice at the middle school. Due to a miscommunication, I wasn't there to get him at 4:30 and he had started to walk home (after waiting for me for an hour!). Yikes. I felt terrible and apologized a lot. As I thought about it though, I felt really proud of Drake. He didn't panic. He didn't cry. Eventually, he figured I wasn't coming so he would get himself home. He was pretty miffed at me for a while, but we talked it out. I think that even though he had an unpleasant experience, it was ultimately good for him. He was able to see that he could rely on himself to figure out a solution to his problem. I guess what I am saying is that even the bad things that happen to us can be used for good. I think Sam probably feels sad he missed an opportunity to have some fun, but hopefully he realized too that he was OK on his own. Sounds like you gave him lots of good self-esteem reinforcement after the experience. I doubt it ever gets easier to watch our kids struggle!

Lewismom said...

I think what happened to Sam proves that he IS a normal kid. Not only kids but adults sometimes get worried and back out. Parents probably have the worst of it, we blame ourselves and worry about things long after they have forgotten. Hang in there Laurene and all you moms. AND DON'T BLAME YOURSELF!

Laurene Ross said...

Nicle I dread this happening to me, but I am sure it will.You handled it so well. I hope I can do that too. Thanks for your support. We moms need to stick together.

-
-
- -
- -
-