- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Tuesday, August 12

Emma Smith, My Story



I went to see the movie "Emma Smith, My Story" I found the movie well done in the acting. In fact the women that plays the older Emma was quite good. The music was good and meant to take you away to a different time and place. The mood of the movie was that of devotion and love.

I have read many movie reviews on this movie and also much dialogue between people, disparaging it and raving about it. I guess many in the church have judged Emma harshly as to her attitudes and not following the saints to Utah. The lack of talk of polygamy and how this affected Joseph's and Emma's marriage is what one hears the most.


I guess I am naive to such talk. Some may say that I am just a follower and not a philosopher or that I am putting my faith in just the feel good music of life that lifts the emotion and moves ones heart to tears.


I on the other hand disagree. I have to say I have always admired Emma. She put complete faith in Joseph. She believed in him and the revelations that he saw. She struggled with the loss of child after child {this alone takes incredible strength and fortitude} Her husband was torn from their home on numerous occasions; beaten, tarred and feathered, dragged to who knows where sometimes taken for months on end. Emma had no recourse. She could not help him. She was alone taking care of their small family in direr circumstances. She was a woman with out a home, driven from one place to the next, not knowing what would become of them, living on complete faith. It is no wonder to me why she stayed in Nauvoo. She was tired and worn to the core. Who can blame her. I am certainly not going to fault her.

Two lines in the movie struck me. I have no idea whether they are from a diary of Emma {from what I understand she did not leave a lot of records} or other works. The quotes are, "Being strong can be very lonely", and when asked what she would change about the past, she responded,"Only Myself." How true.

I was moved by this movie in a variety of ways. I think that you can get to me with the music and all the grandeur of the motion picture {the photography was beautiful and set in many church history sites} But really, The revelation to Emma in the Doctrine and Covenants is what moves me the most. She is an "Elect Lady"She endured and was a comfort to her husband. She was true to her covenants, sacrificed and endured much. I hope that I can be strong when the waves of life toss me over board. It is a lonely place. God, though is always there on my right hand and on my left carrying me, lifting me helping me to change myself, refining me.

I would say see this movie. It helps you to see Emma with new Eyes or just enforces the belief that you had of her.

2 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Good write up. I agee.

George and Eva Ross said...

We both loved the movie! We saw it just before we left on our mission. It was extremely well done in all areas. I have the book by her granddaughter that was used as a reference for the movie. I bought it while we were in Navuoo.
I have to agree with you comments about Emma. It is not fair for us to judge her until we have walked in her shoes. She was a total support to Joseph.
I am anxious to see it again.

-
-
- -
- -
-