- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, October 22

First Job


Jack had his first real job last weekend. He baby-sat for a friend of mine. I was so proud of him. He got a note book , jotted down questions he could ask the parents as to where they would be, the phone number he could reach them at, the neighbors phone number, what they expected of him, and if there were any special instructions for the kids. He was a bit nervous. We had talked about integrity, being a hard worker, employers expectations and going the extra mile. We also talked about how this is just the training part of the job. It all started with him watching these kids at our house, learning about playing with them and gaining their trust.

By the time they came for him he was pretty excited. I was the nervous one. I told him he could call me anytime if he needed anything. He was off. I did not call him, although I wanted to. Around 9:30pm he called me to tell me everything was going Okay. I asked him if the kids were asleep and he said," Yes, he had just checked on them." I asked him what he was doing. He told me he was going to watch 'Star Wars' , but that he would keep the sound down. I told him that 'Star Wars the Clone Wars' was on CT network and he could watch it if he wanted to. He was thrilled. I hung up and waited for him to come home. He came home around 11:45.

He was tired but content. He told me he helped with the trash, played Lego's, and read to the kids. He thought it went well. Beth and Jeremy said everything went smoothly. They grow up so fast.

2 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

That is a rite of passage...becoming a babysitter instead of needing one. I am sure he is so responsible and prepared. I love how you are teaching him such good principles. You are an awesome mom. This brought back memories of my kids to me. They all babysat for many of my friends..which is a real test.
They do grow so fast. Life goes fast some days..the older I get. xoxoxox

Cristy said...

Oh my gosh...I can't believe he is old enough to babysit! Seems like we were just at his baby blessing. Ok, so I am being nostalgic. Anyway, good job Jack, and good Job Laurene for not calling him. I know that is self-control at it's finest!! You gotta love making babysitting money! I know I did!!

-
-
- -
- -
-