- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, October 24

A Secret Place


When I was young about 8 or 9 I wanted a secret place. A place where no one could find me. A place where I could hang out all on my own. A place that when I was mad at the world I could run and hide.



In our hall bathroom there was this deep linen closet. It had a door to the attic above the kitchen. I thought this would be the perfect place for me to disappear and no one would ever notice. { what a dreamer} So I secretly packed a bag with clothes, food, books, and a warm blanket.{ How long was I planning on staying in there?} and waited for the right moment. { Just a side note. I had a bag hidden in Rob's room too in case of tornado. Yes, I am a freak!~}

The time soon came, as my heart was racing, I casually walked into the bathroom closed the door and climbed into the linen closet, this was getting intense. I closed the door, it was pretty dark, bummer. I got out of the closet left the bathroom in search of a flash light. I found one. Back up slowly, as not to draw any ones attention to the bathroom I went. {I had this bag of stuff with me, I wonder what my Mom thought.} I closed the door again. I climbed into the closet and opened the attic, this was it. I wasn't anticipating so much dust. I climbed into the attic and started to question this whole idea, my heart sank. It seemed pretty good about an hour ago, not so much now with the dark and the dust all around. I climbed out and unpacked my bag. I was so disappointed. I couldn't talk to anyone about this misadventure, so with the adrenalin gone I just sat on my bed.



Blake came to me today and said he wanted a secret place. A place that he could go and be on his own. A place where he could take some of his stuff and just relax. I said what about your room. No, that was not what he was looking for. Then a little while later Sam and Blake started secretly collecting stuff. I figured Blake must have confided in Sam, not much fun being alone. They put their heads together to come up with a secret place.


I silently watched them make all their preparations. Blake came and whispered to me that he found a secret place for Sam and him. Sam came and told me to follow him to their secret place. It was up in the storage room; amidst the dust and boxes. There was plenty of light for them. A small cubby was filled with all their treasures. They were very happy and they wanted to share this with me.


Sometimes I still wish for a secret place, but I wouldn't trade seeing these boys in their secret place for anything. Do you have a secret place?

2 comments:

Cristy said...

Hiding place....Hmmm. I wish I could hide too!
When I was little I had that storage room in the basement that dad turned into a bathroom. I had my dollhouse in there. It had a pull lightbulb for a light and it was awesome to me. I remember fondly playing for hours in there.
Now I would say that I "hide" at Walmart late at night or go to the movies alone. I'm not alone but childless. Sad what my life has come to.

Anonymous said...

I don't ever remember having a "secret place". I guess I just didn't realize with that many brothers and sisters I could have a place all to myself. Maybe I'm just not a deep enough thinker to pack a bag, get some treats, a blanket and think the attic would be great. The wall paper in that bathroom would have put me off exploring for sure.
I think it's nice that Blake likes Sam enough to invite him to his secret place.
By the way, I know you meant "freak" in the best self-esteem way possible. How did I not get any of these issues? I must be the weird one.
Maryann

-
-
- -
- -
-