- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Monday, November 3

Are you having problems with you chicken?

I have heard it so many times,.. from friends. They just have a hard time plucking those dang chickens. I know it is a persistent problem.
Never fear, I have the solution for you. When scalding a chicken, add 1 tsp. of baking soda to the boiling water. The feathers will come off easier and the skin will be bright and white.



I know what your thinking. Don't bother to thank me. Just think of me next time you our outside prepping your dinner.
________________________________________________________________


I am a fan of Baking Soda. As you can see I can't get enough. Like vinegar { my other favorite cleaner} it has a million uses. I buy it by the truck load!







My new favorite is scrubbing my face and body with it. Your skin feels soft and smooth. LOVE IT! Just put a container full of baking soda in the shower and take a hand full, add a little water then scrub, scrub, scrub. You can add a tiny bit to your shampoo to remove product build up. Your face will love it too, so gentle. Some like to add some ground oatmeal to the baking soda, but I find it works great all by its self.





Just a small history lesson; Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, first hit the mass market in 1846, when Dr. Austin Church and John Dwight began selling their red-labeled soda packages. “Not only does baking soda neutralize odoriferous fatty acids but it also attacks grease by turning it into — believe it or not — soap,” says University of Pittsburgh’s Professor Wolke. Fact: More than 100 tons of the refrigerator staple were used to clean the Statue of Liberty’s inner copper walls during its 1986 restoration. Awesome!




Here are some other fun uses. Go a little green, won't you!



1.Add 1/2 cups or more of baking soda to your bath water to soften your skin. { I have been doing this with my kids baths since they were babies}

2.Bug bites: use a poultice of baking soda and vinegar.

3. Bee sting: use a poultice of baking soda and water.

4.Use to sweeten sour dishcloths { I add a half a cup to all my laundry loads, keeps things fresh}

5.Putting 2 tbsp. of baking soda in your baby's bath water will help relieve diaper rash irritations

6.Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odor, also in the carpet sprinkle in, then vacuum up!

7.Keep your drains clean and free-flowing by putting 4 tablespoons of soda in them each week. Flush the soda down with hot water. {if you use it in the shower your good to go!}

8.For a badly-burned pan with a thick layer of burned-on food: pour a thick layer of soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the soda. Leave the pot overnight, then scrub it clean next day.

9.Clean vegetables and fruit with baking soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rinse the produce.

10.Do you love dried beans, but not the gas and bloating they cause? Sprinkle a teaspoon of baking soda in the water when you soak beans. voila! No more digestion problems!

I get mine at Sam's or Costco. It is pretty inexpensive, 5lbs for $4.88. Not to shabby. If you have any other uses let me know . I am always in the mood for cleaning tips or beauty tips.

1 comments:

Lewismom said...

I was babysitting for Grace and Katie at my house. Dad was outside with them but he was working in the back and they were playing on the patio. I was at the sink and looked out the window to see Dad with a worried look on his face and he stated to head toward the patio. I saw that Grace and Kate were dancing around and crying. I ran out there and they had been attacked by wasps! I stripped their shirts off because there were wasps under their shirts. Then I took them into the house and made a paste of soda and water and slapped it onto those angry red spots where they had been bitten. I felt like a terrible Grandma but Grace later told her Mom that I helped her so I guess I didn't do too bad. FYI - I also gave them some Benadryl. Very scary. I called Rich to get something from the drug store for the bites but evidently I did the right thing using a baking soda and water paste. The same thing happened to me when I was taking down the curtains to our gazebo, a wasp flew down my shirt and stung me twice. I ran for the house, stripped off my shirt and stepped on the nasty little critter that fell out, and then put a paste of soda and water on the bites. IT HELPED!
Mom

-
-
- -
- -
-