- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Saturday, December 13

A Tree At Last!!

I have a definite love hate relationship with this tree. I curse it every year, telling it how I will dismember every branch after Christmas and burn it to a crisp {morbid I know}. I hear Costco calling my name. I promise myself that after Christmas I will buy a new tree.

Here it is at the beginning. I think this looks like either an odd palm tree or a lodge pole pine. I wanted to leave it this way and I took a break for a couple hours.{small snooze on the couch}

Claire kept trying to talk to me while I snoozed, so I had to get back to work. She gave me some moral support. She just has so much enthusiasm.

Sam sorted and fluffed for me. There are over 100 separate pieces to hook on to the base, plus lights on all the branches. It takes forever!


I think Sam was getting as tired as I was, but he was on a mission like me and he kept at it.


These branches do not go on as easily as it looks. Sam was willing, but the tree wouldn't budge for him.

In the end, {only a day and a half later} I love it! It is beautiful!.. But really is the pain worth it? Should I get rid of this 50 some odd year old tree? It was given to me by someone whose husband was sick of putting it together. My husband doesn't touch it, so he is not a factor in this. The tree is in great shape and everyone always asks if it is real. In these troubling times are we not supposed to waste not, use it up or wear it out? Or...If your mental health is at risk, could this be a good excuse to buy one of those new fangled pre-lit trees?


It has taken me a week to get up Christmas and I still am not through. How far out do you go with your Christmas decor? Am I crazy?

1 comments:

Lewismom said...

Laurene, I'm coming in with my comment on the pre-lit tree that I lobbied for for a year or two.
Dad and I put it together last year. Although he protested vehemently, we HAD to take it apart and start from the bottom up, with plugging in the lights, after we just could not get them all to light up. This year was no exception. Dad put it together and we started working on the plugs. No matter what we did, the (I know stupid is not a nice word, so I will not use it here.) lights would not all work! We had two trys at it at different times. No naps in between, more like days or even a week. FINALLY, I called Kathy and she came by and helped me sort things out and we got all the lights to work. There is one problem but I refuse to let that bother me.Ideally, if you plug in one cord, the colored lights go on and if you plug in the other, the white lights go on. Well...with one plug in, it's all white lights with colored at the top. The other cord lights up the colored lights with nothing at the top. I have decided to have both plugs plugged in and to love the varigated look!
Merry Christmas! It's almost decorated now!

-
-
- -
- -
-