- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, January 22

Singing Like A Frog

Tonight after Basket-ball practice with the Young Women I jetted over to one of my friends to practice a Song to sing in Relief Society on Sunday. I am singing it with four other gals, so I guess we could be called a Quartet: The"Recipe Club Quartet"..." Foodie Singers"..." Delicious Dirt" {not that we gossip}...." Finger Lick in Good" ..."Suzi's Serenader's"...."

It is Suzi's fault that we are singing, not mine contrary to popular belief. Suz made up these Christmas questions and you had to pull them out of a hat and answer before you could pick a present at the "CCGERCE" "Christmas Chinese Gift Exchange Recipe Club Extravaganza" last month.

My question was; What is your favorite Christmas carol? Pick three other women to sing it with you. I picked 'Angels We Have Heard On High.' By this point of the month I had sung it at least a million times with my kids so it seemed a good one to choose. I requested three other ladies to sing with me {I am sure they were thrilled!} two of them sang alto while the rest of us sang the melody and it sounded pretty good.

Now, per Suz request, we are singing in RS. We practiced last night. I have a cold and after yelling at b-ball practice I sounded like a frog. Needless to say I sang alto, although I am sure I could have pulled off tenor.

My problem is this, I have a hard time hearing parts. This wasn't always the case. I also have a hard time hitting my note. This wasn't always the case. I sang in many choirs as a youth, even in show choirs and many solos. After moving through age and all that comes with it I have found that I have stopped using this talent and it is ceasing to exist. I was never going to be the next "American Idol", but I could carry a note and hear the rest of the parts. Does the Lord take our talents away? Or do we waste them away? Do they deminish with time, with dust and grime? Can we get them back? Is it worth it?

2 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Can't wait to hear you girls. You will sound like angels.
You were so awesome at the CC party..I can't imagine how good you will be with a little practice.xoxoxo

Emily said...

HA! I have found your blog (Ihope you don't mind) and I LOVE it! I think you sound great, but I totally understand the feeling that a talent has not gotten the exercise it needs.
Hopefully our voices are all nice and rested, and virus-free for Sunday. Yeah right!

-
-
- -
- -
-