- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, March 3

No TV...NO Electonic games.....for four weeks?

About two weeks ago, I, in the fury that sometimes accompanies Motherhood, banished TV and all Electronic games for FOUR WEEKS! Why on earth? This is a question my husband asked too. Look, when you are mad and out of your mind, because you have told your kids for the umpteenth time to do something and they whine and complain.........sometimes you just loose it. I picked FOUR WEEKS out of the ever-lovin hat that I wear as a Mother......and really once you have laid down the consequence you have to stick to it, no matter how hard or that the Olympics are on or that 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' just came out or whatever. Consistency that is the key....RIGHT?????
Okay, I do have to admit four weeks is a LONG TIME and perhaps the kids will tire of trying to obey me and forget about the TV {they only get to watch it on the weekend} or the Wii { they only get to play on Saturday}.....not likely since they ask me everyday if the four weeks up. I just needed them to understand I was serious. I cannot ask them to do things over and over and really, I can't take whining, rolling of eyes, stomping of feet or any other type of protest over just doing what is expected on a daily basis. These expectations are not huge....ie...Make beds, brush teeth, put laundry away, practice piano the list goes on, not too far, but on. I am only one person and they are four, so there you have it I was a bit tired. After trying for a week and a half to not loose my temper, speak in whispers, and hold it together with no anger coming out.....uh it did and in a big way.
We have made it through. Actually, it has been somewhat pleasant for the past two weeks. As you can see from these pictures the kids have found other ways to entertain themselves and I like it. Look at the smile and joy in Claire's face here. She is loving dancing with her brothers. They missed the Olympics, {we did DVR a lot of them} but really did it hurt them to miss it? I don't think so.
They just found other means to keep their minds and body's busy. We have made a ton of paper airplanes. We have painted more and played more games.
We have listened to more music and laughed together. It has been nice. The pressure of getting everything done so they can play their Game Boys is gone. The rush job they did on cleaning the bathroom, gone. I have been able to enjoy just talking with them.
Skip felt like we should give them a chance to earn it back early. This week they are earning stars every time they get everything done and without complaints. We shall see if they make it. I know some complaining is natural, but in order to keep some sort of order I do need some sort of compliance. I really have enjoyed these past two weeks with them though and hopefully once we get back to the modern wonders of the world they will still want to play, paint, sing, and dance with me:)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

We just recently listened to a John Bytheway talk (we do this as we drive around to all our activities), and he talked about a time when he didn't wath any TV for a month. He explained how he was more able to feel the spirit and to hear His promptings with less distractions. Great talk! I highly rocommend it.

Having said that, I think that all of us have times as parents when we (over)react emotionally. I don't think there is anything wrong with telling our kids that we make mistakes too. While I totally agree with the following through policy, it can also be a lesson to our children when we admitt we have been wrong.

Brooke said...

You're so great, Laurene. You have a happy, bonded, loving family. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It will serve as a great reminder for me next time I get the urge to blast off a 4-week consequence. :-)

George and Eva Ross said...

I can remember losing my cool and making a punishment or consequence too stiff and apologizing and modifying to suit the deed. Time goes much slower for kids than it does for us. Lessons can be learned from short consequences just as well as long ones and negative backlash is less likely to happen. Oh, the fun of raising children!

Suzie Soda said...

You go mama! I can feel your pain. Stop whining kids...it drives me to the brink of insanity.
Keep the faith..they will turn into wonderful adults.
xoxoxo

-
-
- -
- -
-