- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, April 2

Have I done Any Good?

We have had some crazy weather today. First the rain, then the sun, then it hails, sunshine again and then on with the rain. Plus it is windy and cold. I'm not complaining. I mean we have no snow, I better knock on wood. Sorry about my peeps in Utah:)

This has been a spring break week and unfortunately I have not been much for fun. I have been really sad. I feel like I am being somewhat selfish. I just feel physically drained and I haven't even done anything. That is part of my problem. I feel like I can do nothing to comfort or help so many of my friends that are hurting. I am praying for them and you would think this should be enough. I know the Lord hears and answers our prayers.....I know this. It just sort of stinks being far away.

So we had this talk about two weeks ago in church about the song "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?"We were challenged to write a note to someone that might need a kind word or pray about it and maybe some one's name that just pops into your head might need a note.

I have also been thinking about the hymn, "As Sisters in Zion." My friend Samantha past away Monday night and boy she was and I know still is, a Woman of quiet service and Charity. She was just constantly going around helping, not saying much, just a small smile and she would move on to the next thing that needed doing. Her kids and Husband are the same. They are one incredible family. I was thinking , really.... How am I honoring her memory? I need to do something.
"Super Suppers," catchy name huh? On our Island the Inter-faith council with the cooperation of several churches put on these dinners. They are last week in every month. Every night of the last week a church or I should say two churches team up to offer a free meal to anyone that needs it. The idea being that those that are having a hard time financially might need more help at the end of the month. Our Church teams up with the Catholic Church and we do a big dinner.

Jack and I went to help this week for a couple of hours. It was so great to serve with these wonderful Sisters in Christ. The Spirit of service was so strong. I put my arm around one of the ladies and just told her how wonderful it was to be able to help. I got a little teary. My emotions are really at the surface this week.

I imagine some of my friends will be in a Church kitchen tomorrow. They will be talking about Samantha and laughing and crying. They will be serving up food, washing up dishes and growing closer as they show love to each other. I know..... I have been there with them, many times. They say the more you serve someone { and I might add serve with some one } the deeper your love grows and I believe it. These ladies have been given 'The errand of Angels'...to comfort the weary and strengthen the weak. They are up to the task. My spirit will be there with them, but I think my hands will be busy some where else. They have to be.

I am going to try and ask myself everyday; Have I done Any good in the World Today and hopefully get to it!.......Just like Samantha......cool!


3 comments:

Emily said...

Again . . . beautiful.

I don't think anything quite bonds women like serving together. My heart is in Virginia today.

Cristy said...

so sad...now I'm crying. Just sad!

Kate said...

Laurene,
I love you so much and feel so very blessed to call you a friend.
I am thankful that you are here and I hope you know that you can call me or come into the shop for a hug, anytime. I truly mean it.
xo

-
-
- -
- -
-