- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, January 20

Scrambled Thoughts


Blake does not have a controller , yet he is moving around like a mad man. Which begs the question......


A couple things have been on my mind in the past few days but..... I come up with a great idea and think I really want to address this on my blog then it disappears into the endless chasm that is my brain. It is like the ideas are on a ledge and they " Can't hold on much longer" then the idea slips away. You watch it as it floats down and at some point you are wondering," What was that.....I think it was something really intelligent, witty and pertinent...but for the life of me I have no Idea what I was thinking about...like twenty seconds ago.

I heard tale of this app that you can get on your smart phone {...like they are really smart. Did you know the there are 22 definitions for smart in the dictionary and the first six have to do with PAIN. Sometimes my phone is a pain, because I am not Smart (Definitions 7-10)enough to figure out how to use it.} .....THIS app is voice activated..nothing new...you just dictate and it writes it all down for you. It is supposedly 95% grammatically correct and spelled correctly. What a dream. Now if I could just remember the name of it.


Things on my mind........

Why... was the car in front of me, at the traffic circle just sitting there when there was plenty of time and room to go. Doesn't she realize this is a race......I honk.....believe me I waited the polite amount of time before I let her know I was there. You would think she would know...mirrors? Three maybe four cars came through with wide spaces between each. After I honk she moves through the circle and slowly pulls over. I look and see she has one hand on the wheel, She is like four years old....okay maybe 16.....She is not even looking at the road, yet is still moving....moving slowly down the shoulder as she texts like mad and the passenger is watching her do it. You have got to be kidding! What is so important that you have to text someone while you are stopped at a traffic circle?

One time, when I was a kid my dad dropped off my brother and me at the grocery store with a list of items we needed and he left us a blank check to pay for it. He ran to the hardware store and said he would be back to get us in a half an hour. We finished the shopping and waited... and waited. Finally, we called our mom from the stores phone. My dad had just pulled up at home. We lived about 2o- 25 minutes from town. My dad had forgotten us. He turned around and came back to get us. Did we freak out?...no. Did we need to talk to him as he drove to get us? No. In fact once we realized that we had been forgotten we waited the right amount of time that it seemed to us it would take for our Dad to get home and then we called and then we waited again.
We were used to waiting. We waited at school when our parents were going to pick us up and were late.....we waited. We didn't talk on phones in movies...we waited until we got home if we needed to talk to someone and sometimes when you called that someone you got a busy signal and you would have to wait longer.

I think people need to learn to wait again. It is good to wait.

One other thing:

I kid comes over to my house and immediately points out that my stockings are still hung on the mantel place. I look at him and say," Yes they are and don't they look lovely." He shakes his head yes. I walk out of the room. Seriously, I don't need this pressure from a four year old. I WILL GET TO IT!

Right now I am going to make dinner for a family that won't really like what I am about to make...while I push one kid to finish his hour long piano practice{ all the time he is complaining, but I press on} help another with math{ that we have been working on for the last hour....he is spinning like a top in his chair} ask another for the umpteenth time if he has finished his cleaning of the upstairs bathroom....What?..... Yes?..... It is done? He answers in the affirmative. Good, you have lesson for Family Home Evening. Could you please get on that now? He looks at me like a tarantula just crawled out of my mouth and then with a heavy sigh says,".... yes......" Ah Compliance, you got to love it.
Wii Sword fighting......sometimes dressing up as a Princess gives you the edge.

The FHE lesson was great. It was on faith. Sam researched and presented it all by himself and then bore testimony of the importance of Faith in out lives. He said," If we don't have Faith we don't have anything..really....I mean faith is about everything." Well said Sam, Thanks.

We are 100% Scripture reading so far this year. It is a goal for our kids in Primary and as a family. The other night Skip and I went out on a date and we didn't read with the kids before we left. In fact I didn't even think about it. Jack put the boys to bed and they didn't read. Sam and Blake are determined. They told me the next morning that they had gotten under Blake's covers and read by flash light. They read 6 verses, 3 each, so they could say they were 100%. They rock my world!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Fun post Laurene! My Dad used to do the same "let them shop" thing with us. Only our philosophy was "let them eat cake". Oh the things we tossed in that grocery cart....
Claire is a glorious princess.
Your post is goin' up today. If you want me to use your name or add a link to your website, let me know. Otherwise-I won't!

Anonymous said...

So true, Laurene. Our busy life has turned into one of waiting, and that is a good thing.

By the way, my kids love sword slashing on the wii, too. I love how Claire is turned completely around in that crazy stance. Too cute!

-
-
- -
- -
-