- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Sunday, April 13

Day Trip


On Friday the kids and I took a day trip to Washington DC. We Started out from Richmond { We were listening to a book on CD " Prince Caspian" from the Narnia series, It is quite adventurous and set the tone for our adventure. Needless to say when we arrived at the metro the kids were in the right mood.} and drove to Springfield where we jumped on to the metro and took the train into the city. While I was trying to obtain the tickets from the machine {which by the way is not very reader friendly, especially when you have four kids asking allot of questions} a very nice man asked me what are you trying to do, so I told him and he did it all for me { I learned nothing, accept that when you have a stroller and four kids and looked confused and frustrated strange men, although nice , will stop and save you}





The train ride was a highlight for the kids. We arrived on the Mall at noon and ate a packed lunch. Jack and Sam kept saying how weird it was to be in a place that they had seen in pictures and read about it was really surreal for them. We walked toward the Washington Monument and then to the Jefferson to see the cherry blossoms ,which were quite spent already. All the while we would stop here and there whenever the kids wanted to, to look and talk, run and jump, we were in no hurry. They did think we had to walk quite a bit though. We took a break at the Tulip library and painted the scene. The kids took about an hour here to paint and talk , run and play in the over grown holly trees that created a canopy of forts in which they could pretend to be knights and fight one another. We raced through the Cherry trees laughing and chasing one another.







We then walked and walked back up the mall to our final destination the "National Gallery of Art Museum". We stopped in the sculpture garden where we soaked our feet in the pool of cool water{ I am sure it was not to clean,"Self Talk" that is all I can say}. Blake said this was his favorite part of the trip. I am so glad I could suppress my demons so Blake could have this memory. On to the Art museum were we went on a not so successful scavenger hunt for works of art. Using the book "You Can't take A Balloon Into The National Gallery " as are guide we searched for the different works of art that the book contained through out the gallery. We had fun looking and riding in huge elevators.




It was 5:00 and the museum closed. We went outside and played in another fountain, walked slowly {I mean slow, at this point Claire was done and would only take very small steps. I think it was a silent protest} back to the mall, sat on the cool grass and ate some huge strawberries "yummy". Walking slowly again, then a little faster as I picked up a very weary Claire, we arrived at the metro around 6:20 and navigated our way back to Springfield. We were tired but very satisfied with our day. No fighting and lots of smiles.




We did have to make a 'Trader Joe's' stop and then we were on our way back to Richmond. The traffic at 8:15 was not too bad. I could feel the beginning of a migraine coming on. It hit full force just before Fredicksburg.{ you might think this had to do with the stress of the day, but really the day was a joy and not very stressful} What a challenge to drive, the headlights were almost to much to bare. I held my hand up to my eyes to shield them from the light and the kids were very quiet for me. I drove slowly and we made it home safely but late. I went directly to bed. The kids did to with Skips help.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds and looks like you all had so much fun, I'm so glad. We love D.C., unless you get lost in Anachosta? the bad part, of the city.
I'm sorry the cherry trees were not in their full glory. It really is a sight to see. We are trying to plan something to do when we come over the summer, maybe you could do a over night trip with us, go to the zoo, Native American museum, and the girls want to do Mount Vernon this year. Hope your head is filling a lot better. I know that migraines for me can linger a couple of days.
Maryann

Laurene Ross said...

Thanks, I am much better. The kids would love it. We might go again soon. Jack wants to go to the Library of Congress and I would like to take them to Arlington.

Suzie Soda said...

What a great field trip. You are an awesome mom to brave DC by yourself. This will be a great memory for your kids. I love that we live near so much rich history and can take advantage of it. Glad you made it home safely...sorry about your migraine.

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip. Wish I could have done the drive home for you! What a great Mom you are...the new saying should be "take time to soak your feet!"
Sherry

-
-
- -
- -
-