- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, August 20

Recipe Club

Last night we had our monthly Recipe Club. This month the theme was healthy foods. I decided to Wow the girls with my "Green Smoothie". I wish I had pictures. My demonstration skills leave allot to be desired. As I started out the spinach and kale wouldn't go down into the blender very well so I, in my great wisdom, stuck a knife into the blender to scoot the greens down towards the blades. Of course the blade caught the knife and Green Smoothie went all over. Sorry about the kitchen ceiling Suzi! I hear spinach is good for your hair and face.



The other thing that I absolutely thrilled me was that everyone loved my shoes.{ I know this sounds vain, but like Claire says" I am a Girl."} They are very cute. Maryann supplied me with many shoes while I was in UT and they are all fun and adorable. Thank you, Thank You, Maryann! { don't look at my pedicure}




I have to give kudos to my Mom, She is quite awesome. She makes amazing bread. While my Mom wasn't there last night her bread was via;Beth via; Jeremy. You rock Beth. I hope you have that baby soooooon! I have given out my Mom's recipe to many people in my ward and they love it. Here is the recipe. I Cut it in half all the time and it works out really well.

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

4 cp warm water (hot water will kill the yeast)

1t. sugar

2 packets rapid rise or any kind of yeast or 2 T yeast

2 T salt

2/3 cp olive or any kind of oil

2/3 cp honey or sugar

4 T gluten

abt 8 or 9 cp flour

Put warm water, sugar and yeast into mixer bowl and let yeast proof. Add salt, oil and honey. (If you measure oil first and use the same cup, the honey will slide out of the cup easier.) Add gluten, then 6 or 7 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add more flour and mix until the dough is holding together and pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Check to see if the dough is sticky. If it sticks to your fingers, add flour a little bit at a time, until the dough is tacky but not sticky. When you get the right consistency, let it knead for 10 minutes. The dough should start to follow the dough hook after about 6 minutes. At this time, you can add a little more flour or a drop or two of water, depending on how the dough feels.

Divide dough and put into 4 1lb greased loaf pans (you can use cooking spray) and place in a warm place to rise. Let dough rise until it is well above the sides of the pan. Place dough in oven and turn on oven to 350°and dough will rise a bit more as it bakes for about 25-30 minutes, depending on the oven. Bread should be medium golden brown color when done and have a hollow sound when you tap the top of the loaf.

·

FLOUR: I have been buying “Wheat Montana, Prairie Gold”, 100% Whole Wheat Flour, at WalMart and it works well. It is made from Hi Protein, Hard White Spring Wheat, but this is the same recipe that I have used for years with Hard Red Winter Wheat.

· Using the gluten seems to help with the rising and make the bread more moist and holds it together.

If the bread cracks on the sides you have either used too much flour or not allowed the dough to rise enough before baking.

· My daughter and I have used applesauce to replace all or part of the oil in the recipe. It works well.

4 comments:

Cristy said...

I am going tomorrow to moms to have her teach me how to make it. I can't wait to make my own bread. I am so sick of having bread either go bad or taste yucky. We all love moms bread!

Lewismom said...

What can I say? I love it too!

Suzie Soda said...

Well I knew it was an accident so no worries. I thought of you all day the next day as I found little green things in my kitchen :) I am impressed that you drink that stuff everyday...I would have to add honey or hold my nose :) That doesn't speak well for me...I NEED SUGAR. The bread is delicious. I used to make in my former life. Now it is all I can do to go buy it and read the fine print to make sure it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup ( Costco's doesn't).
Your shoes were so RAD. I wore cute shoes like that in my former life too. I described them as " groovy":)Now it is aersoles for me, grandma moses that I am. I will live vicariously through you.

Ashton said...

Thank you for your mom's awesome bread recipe, Laurene!!! (Sometimes that's all we eat for days! =) )

-
-
- -
- -
-