- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, October 30

Carving it Up !

Did you know that turnips and rutabagas used to be the lantern of choice. In Ireland. That is where it all started you know. The druids, souls of the dead returning to mingle with the living on 'hallowed eve,'. All very spooky and you know how I love it!

We were up to scaring evil spirits away yesterday with the traditional carving of the pumpkin. The kids love this activity. I am forced to do it. It tends to be quite messy and I end up being the one that has to clean the orange slime out. I did save the seeds.

______________________________________________________________


Claire was into it for about a minute. She helped push the eyes, mouth and nose out after I carved them. She really had no intention of reaching into the sticky, icky mess. Being the understanding mom that I am. I forced her. Then, after a obligatory photo she was off.


________________________________________________________________


Blake did it all this year himself. He was very happy with the results.He even cleaned up after himself.

Thanks Blake, no worry's here!

_______________________________________________________________




Sam carved the pumpkin himself as well. He used his trusty pocket knife. Yes, we had other fun carving tools that are designed specifically for carving pumpkins , but he would have none of it. "I have a pocket knife and I will use it." Notice the bandages on Sam's pumpkin, a special touch!


The Trusty Pocket knife!

________________________________________________________



Jack decided to go the designer route. This took about three hours. After he got the CD player set up and headphones he was ready to carve. He was in his own little 'Brian Jacques' world, carving while listening to English forest animals solve the worlds problems.




Happy Carving!


For your own carving fun try http://www.cubpack81.com/images/carve_pumpkin.swf

2 comments:

Cristy said...

the washing of the pumpkin is hilarious....hmmm...wonder who he gets that from???

Anonymous said...

My girls were sad we didn't do pumpkins this year. We always do them with the Hansens. We couldn't find a night to get together and it seemed the last couple of weeks have gone by fast. Hopefully, gingerbread houses will get done. Linda and I are already trying to find a date.
Tell your kids they are lucky that their mom has it all together.
I posted pics of the kids to my mobile me site. Ethan got to be a Robot even with his craft challenged mother.

-
-
- -
- -
-