- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Tuesday, November 11

Scouting for Math

Sam And I went scouting for food a couple Saturdays ago. Not allot of Cubs showed up, so it was up to us as a team to deliver 200 bags to 200 homes. Needless to say it took a while. Sam is not a fast soul. He does everything slowly and concisely. He follows every bit of direction. When I asked him if we could pick up the pace, he told me we are not supposed to run on other peoples property. I am glad he endeavors to be respectful. We walked it. Sam was hot and tired but satisfied and I have to say so was I. Sometimes, I have to learn to go at Sam's pace and wait for the reward.
_____________________________________________________

We use a math program called Singapore Math. Which I absolutely love. The emphasis in Singapore is on deep conceptual knowledge of mathematical concepts, rather than learning by rote. The approach is to strengthen their mental math skills. There are many story problems which keeps them engaged. Both Sam and Jack have enjoyed it.

The only problem I have found is that truly they do need some rote memorization in order to master basic math. After much research I found this great program, Mathscore. I intertwine them together, building on the concepts that we are learning. It helps me to assess the level that they are at and move them on when they are ready. I can also change settings to help them have success. It is a little manipulative, but it has done wonders for both Jack and Sam. We have been working on this program since last spring.
_________________________________________________________

Sam really struggles with the way he sees things. His mind really works differently than my other kids. Reading and putting his mind together with his hands has taken a while. I have laid off math to just about ten minutes a day, leaving him to build with Lego's instead. I felt like the mind to hand concept could be best worked out using Lego's as a manipulative. Today he broke through a wall. I was so ecstatic for him. He past six levels on this MathScore program. We have been working on this for weeks, ten minutes at a time. I wish you could have seen his smile, priceless. These are the times when I just revel in Home Schooling. I love seeing the light turn on in their minds. It's a wonderment! He also read to me for twenty minutes without tiring, added bonus.

2 comments:

Mom's Thoughts said...

Persistence pays off. Once he gets the reading thing down and learns to utilize his locus of control. He will soar with his visual spatial skills.

Cristy said...

That's awesome Sam. Way to go at it!! Your on track to conquer anything you want! Good Patience too Sam!
As far as the Scouting for food. That's wonderful! I have heard here in Utah how many more people are going to food banks, and it is wonderful that your taking the time with him to put out the bags and helping your community. You never know who your helping when you do that kind of thing!

-
-
- -
- -
-