- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Wednesday, December 10

Roasted Red Pepper Tomatoe Sauce

I love a good red sauce, unfortunately not all of my family shares this love. I make red sauce about once every week. I read somewhere that tomatoes are a power food and you should eat a little red sauce everyday! I make at least a quart so I can eat on it for lunch with Claire and Blake. They both share this love of red sauce. The rest love a smooth Alfredo, not too good for you, but I love it.


This is what you need for the sauce , a little bit of this and a little bit of that. These are the ingredients that I like. I try to limit the fat to just olive oil.



Saute up two onions with some olive oil till they are soft and translucent, then add crushed garlic, about 3 or 4 cloves, or more if you love garlic. Cook for a minute and add some salt and pepper.




Roast up three red, yellow, or orange peppers on a cookie sheet covered with foil at 450 degrees for 20-30 min rotating them every five minutes. They will blacken up. Pull them out and put them into a plastic freezer bag for about 10 min. This will steam the skins right off. Take out of the bag, peel the skin off and cut them open to de-vein and seed.{ you should probably do this before you start on this sauce. I like to roast up a whole bunch and store in the fridge.You can also eat these on sandwich's and pizza.} Chop up and and add to onions.


Add two cans of diced unsalted tomatoes. Chop up some fresh or in my case frozen basil and throw that in. Add in your spices here. I like kosher salt, pepper, Mrs dash , chili pepper and oregano. I also add about a tablespoon of honey to cut the acidity. Let it stew for about 5-10 minutes.




Spoon the stew into a blender. Remember it is hot. Make sure you put a lid on it with some ventilation. If you don't believe me you can look at my ceiling. Blend till smooth. Dump back into the pan and taste. Add more spices as needed.

I forgot add a splash or two of some Balsamic Vinegar to taste. Always a good Idea!



Enjoy over pasta or on pizza!

1 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Can I come over for lunch someday and have red sauce? It sounds divine. Can't wait to see your house all decorated.....I am ready to celebrate Tuesday night.
xoxoxo

-
-
- -
- -
-