- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Thursday, February 26

Gettysburg

We live in the capital of the south and there is such a vast amount of history here. Much of it is tied to the Civil War. I have always been fascinated with War. ...Not wanting to fight{ maybe a super ninja spy} , but I want to know the psychology behind each war. I know pride, hate, conviction and perhaps love... I am still investigating this.

For the past six months I have tried to learn as much about the Civil War and it's players as I can. I am still in pursuit of this knowledge and I guess I could be forever. This quest has naturally fallen into my home school, as I am teaching a unit on the Civil War in our Co-op group. The kids and I are enjoying learning together and exploring the many aspects of this terrible War.{that came out a little weird}

I bought the movie 'Gettysburg' last spring and after talking with my Brother-in-Law, Shane, last summer decided to wait until I read and studied this particular battle before watching it. I am so glad I did. I watched it with Skip. He has little interest in history, but humored me. I was fascinated by the conviction, hate, pride and yes even love that prevailed in the psyche of the men that fought.I guess I shouldn't be too shocked, yet they were human and I am human and I wonder how I would behave in such a setting. My next move is to take my family to Gettysburg, which gratefully is just 3 hours away. I encourage all to see this movie. It may surprise you.

One thing that moves my soul is the way both sides called upon God to help them prevail. This shouldn't surprise me, but I never really thought of it in this sense.

I am really interested in the battle tactics and strategy that each side employed to win battles. I find that I can use so much of this information to draw my boys into the history.

Jack and I started watching 'Gettysburg' today. It was so fun to see the light go on in his head when he recognized all the things we have covered about the war. I love when it all comes together.

2 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Gettysburg is awesome. You can take a car tour with a tape to listen to as you drive. Greg served his mission really close to there for one of his areas. He did graduate work at BYU in American history before he got his MBA. I love history.

Anonymous said...

I love the movie Gettysburg. Shane and I have seen it 5-6 times. It's a long movie. I don't remember a lot of blood and no bad language. I am a history buff, just like Suzie. We've been all over the east coast to different battle fields including Gettysburg. You are a lot closer to Fredricksburg and it is worth going to.
I'm off to drive 8, 14yr girls, to their mock trial. A fun 45 minute car ride is in my future. Aren't you jealous.

-
-
- -
- -
-