- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Sunday, February 1

Starry, Starry Night

When I lay in bed at night, if I lay just right, I can stare up into the heavens to the beautiful stars.

Okay, it doesn't quite look like this, but I really like this painting and in my dreams this is what it looks like. Van Gogh painted this famous painting while in an insane asylum and sometimes I feel like I am in one.

This is more like it. There are no lights out here in the country and I could sit outside and bask in the beauty of the sky, if it weren't so cold. My bedroom window will have to do.

Ever since I was a kid and I saw 'Swiss Family Robinson,' I always wanted a skylight so I could lay in bed and stare at the stars. My wish has come true,... kind of.


I have been waiting all winter to get a good picture of the Dog Woods outside my bedroom window and here they are. The ice is covering them. They look like something out of Narnia.

This is a close up, such delicate icicles that form on each little bend in the branches, and the moss on the trees,... so beautiful. Each season has it's own beauty.

January has been some what icy. Miserably cold for this part of Virginia and icy cold in other ways too. I have not been doing my best to curtail the depression that comes with gloomy days.

Unfortunately, I have been choosing a science fiction/fantasy series by Orson Scott Card to escape. While I enjoy the diversion, my scriptures are gathering dust on the side table.

Last night as I retired to bed just before midnight I reached for my book thinking I could read a chapter or two before I fell to sleep. Next to my book were the Scriptures. I could hear the faint sound of some sacred music playing softly in the boys room. My mind was turned towards my Savior and I picked up the scriptures....


The Dog woods last spring, they are in full bloom and remind me of my childhood in Missouri. Another memory stirs my mind, this one of nursing my baby Claire in the quiet of my bedroom. I stare out into the Dogwoods. The spring breeze is moving them gently back and forth in a sort of playful dance. Almost like the spirits of the trees are alive enjoying their rebirth as they move to a silent song. I can nearly hear..... My mind is filled with such sweetness.

.......I flip through the pages, hoping for some inspiration or revelation as to where I should read. I can't remember where I stopped,... it has been too long..... I chose Mosiah 10 ... the quite melodious music leads and guides my mind to the remembrance of my Father.

I read, I feel an emotion that has been lacking in my daily life for a while. I welcome it, I embrace it, I hunger after it ... I cozy up into my warm blankets. I read verse's 10 and 11. Spring has sprung...My soul delighteth...the comforter, like springs awakening, refreshes my spirit.


I hope to see Summer again in Virginia, so I can finish off these pictures. One season is sorely lacking.

Look at the Dog Woods in Autumn. They are full of fire. The breeze still moves them, but not as gently. They are having their last hurrah till the cold strips them once again. I find this is the way of life. One last dance then the icicles form, but spring will melt the iciness away, just like it always does. Hope Springs eternal.



Summer at our house. The house is dwarfed by massive trees. They grow them tall in Virginia. It is hot and humid and green beyond all get out. You almost choke on the air here, it is so fresh.

I love it! I am refreshed and open to whatever the Lord will lead us too. He is my guide and my strength. With him I have no need of fear, just faith and hope. All things will work out in time. Not knowing is frustrating yes, yes, yes.... But now I have been awakened to a remembrance of my Lord and I know once again where comfort is found.

I will now go and stare at the Starry,Starry, Night through my window and feel of His majesty.Wonderful!

1 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Beautiful post. I am thinking of you and praying for you everyday. xoxoxo

-
-
- -
- -
-