- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Friday, May 8

Mount Vernon



It has been a crazy two months and my blogging has been haphazard. I have decided that since this is a record of my family's comings and goings I will have to back pedal just a little to get it all in.

The spring has been pretty wet, but on the rare day when it is not raining we have set out on some adventures.

We spent a day at Mount Vernon. I would really recommend for everyone to go there. You can't visit us now that we are moving{ you had your chance}, but DC is an awesome place. Most things are free, but not Mount Vernon. It was well worth the price. The grounds are beautiful and very educational. We saw a lot of period things including the main house. They had this great treasure map for kids and we had fun finding all the clues.

The new museum is fabulous. there are several mini movies about George Washington. In one of the movies it actually snows on you, very interactive. The kids ate it up.

They had several actors portraying characters from the time. I thought the lady that played Mrs Washington was great. She stayed in total character as she answered all our questions about His Excellency General Washington. She asked the kids questions and engaged them...I loved it.

We picked up some souvenirs from the gift shop, which I am on the fence about. I think pictures are really the best way to remember things. Claire got these hideous glasses because some random girl told her she looked pretty in them...peer pressure already?


We headed down to the Airport to watch the planes take off. There is a park right at the edge of a run way where you can get out and watch. They are so low you feel like you can almost touch them. It was quite loud, but really fun to watch. I had to tell Claire that there were no more planes and that they were all done to get her to stop crying because we had to go.


This was my real reason for gong to DC. I wanted to see the Cherry Blossoms. It was cloudy and a little rainy so we didn't go down to the mall like I had planned. Mount Vernon was a good choice for a day of mist.


This shot was taken by Jack as we drove past the trees on the Mall at dusk. I was driving and directing Jack," Take one Now! Now! Now before the light turns, hurry!"I was able to enjoy them from afar. I was sad... such is life:)

0 comments:

-
-
- -
- -
-