- -
-
- - -
-
-
- -
-

Saturday, September 5

First Day of School

This time of year brings a lot of first. Many children start school for the first time. Parents watch as their little 5 or 6 year old take the first steps into their educational career. They are all smiles and can't wait to get out the door. Tears are wiped as parents feel their heart strings pulled.
Well, I am no different. I dropped off Jack for the first time. He is quite a bit older, but none the less, it is his first experience in a class room. My heart strings were pulled too. He was excited.

Off he goes to learn all he can about Algebra.
_______________________________________
I am glad he has an opportunity to take band and algebra, but I am not a fan of this school thing. I have several issues. I understand that the district has to start on a certain date and have all the kids there to count so they can collect the money they get from the government. I get that these funds pay for many important things. Yet, I send my kid to school and no schooling happens.

The first three days have really been a waste of time. My time and Jack's. I pick him up and I ask him" How did it go? What did you learn? Did you meet anyone?" He says," I don't know. It was kind of weird. We didn't really do anything." I asked a couple of people about it and they said," Well, the first days are just to get things organized and stuff." I think I have to spend this time running him here and there and they are wasting my time. Aren't these people paid to be ready. Let the learning begin!


Now this part is my own personal thing. My life is now a slave to his schedule. I know, reality deal with it. Well I don't like it! I have a schedule and when we start school we start, but if I want to go to a museum or I see something that would be good to do with the kids, I can take school in the car and we can go do it. Now I can't and beleive me it is a real bummer for all invovled. No more trips at the drop of a hat. It kind of stunts our hands on learning.

Not to mention the swearing, lude talk, and scant clad girls. Jack has already come home with tales of these.

I will see how it goes. I like the idea of band and the teacher for algebra is supposed to be really great. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Sometimes the lessons our kids learn at school are not the academic ones. Patience and longsuffering come to mind in this situation. (= Our kids get to learn that sometimes we have to endure things that we may not like. Somtimes we have to accomodate the needs of others. These lessons are valuable too. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get to the Algebra too.

Laurene Ross said...

I know I am a big baby. I agree with all you said Nicole. Maybe some of the lessons are for me:)

-
-
- -
- -
-